Home > Money > Watch Out for These 6 Common Tax Myths

Watch Out for These 6 Common Tax Myths

We can all agree that filing taxes can be confusing. Asking questions or web searching for answers only leads to more confusion and misconceptions because when it comes to taxes, one standard answer does not always fit all.
The National Association of Enrolled Agents a group of federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxes sheds some light on six common tax misconceptions.
Myth: I had a really big loss in the stock market this year, so I wont owe any income taxes.
Fact: Deduction of capital losses against ordinary income is limited to $3,000 per year. Also, whether you reinvest or receive dividends, they are technically still income and are taxed as such.
Myth: Im filing an extension this year, so I dont need to pay anything yet.
Fact: Tax extensions only extend the time you have left to file, not the time you have to pay any taxes owed. If you owe money and file an extension, you have until April 15 to pay, regardless of the extended deadline date. Otherwise, interest and penalties begin to stack up.
Myth: Income earned in a foreign country is not taxable.
Fact: The operative word is income, which means its taxable. The IRS requires taxpayers to report all earned income, even if its earned abroad.
Myth: They paid me in cash, so I dont have to report it.
Fact: If its income, you must report it. You always report income, regardless of whether its cash, tips, bonuses or dividends.
Myth: Im too young to have to pay taxes.
Fact: Even dependents working part-time while in high school must file a tax return if they earned more than $6,100 in 2013 or if they want to receive their refund.
Myth: Tax preparers only fill out forms that you can do yourself.
Fact: Paid preparers know the intricate (and constantly changing) tax laws, regulations and codes, and how they can be applied for your benefit and save you money. Enrolled agents, Americas tax experts, receive annual continuing education so they are knowledgeable of tax laws and how they can apply to you. Enrolled agents not only specialize in tax preparation and tax planning, they can also represent you before the IRS.
Find an enrolled agent in your area on the Find an EA directory at www.naea.org.
If you enjoyed the read, please share this article.
No comments yet. Be the first!

Articles you may like

Printed from 2read.co - Your daily read

Article Categories